Why dreamz?

I've been recording as much as I can remember of my dreams for the past few years and it occurred to me that no one is ever likely to read through the whole batch at once, but some might find them interesting, or bizarre enough to read one or a few at a time. So, here they are.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

On campus

I turned south onto First Street next to the former Men’s Residence Halls, currently known as the Six Pack, and there were workers dragging barricades across the street for construction work.  I had to stop, do a three point turn, and head back north.  Other workers had started dragging fence panels out onto the street north of me, fencing me in.  I pulled up to the panels and the workers were signaling me to go back, but I showed them that I was trapped and had to get out.  These panels weren’t locked in place yet, so they reluctantly moved one out of the way and I weaved my way through and got out of the trap.

I went to the Illini Union where there was remodeling going on inside on the north end.  There was a mirror about 4’ by 6’ that workers had taken off the wall to store for safekeeping during the work.  It was in an ornate wooden frame and someone decided it needed to come out of the frame to store properly.  I took the frame off, which surprisingly folded up into a bundle about two feet long that I could carry under my arm.  I was responsible for it, and I thought the safest place for it would be at home, so I headed toward the south end of the Union with the bundle under my arm.

It occurred to me that I didn’t have any proof that I was supposed to have this frame bundle and I might be challenged by someone about walking out with it.  Rather than doing the right thing, getting a receipt or some kind of proof, I decided to try to sneak out.  The south lobby was packed with people and there were several University Police around, so I was nervous.  Then a commotion developed at one of the doors.  Several police rushed there and started pounding on a three or four black students, including one short, round woman.  I didn’t think the police were acting appropriately, but I also thought this was my opportunity to get out without notice, so I went to the doors on the other side and left.

Outside I met a group of people I knew, including David Hodge.  They were all heading southwest, which was the direction I needed to go, because I was planning to walk home, so I walked with them.  They suggested we should walk in the steam tunnels rather than on the streets.  I said I had been in those tunnels forty years ago and I didn’t like them much then, so wouldn’t be going back now.  David was really excited about going, though, so he and the rest of the group headed off anyhow and I started walking home.

No comments:

Post a Comment