I went into a truck stop restaurant in Morgan County at a busy time of day. Chris Parker (Morgan County Extension Agent) was sitting at the counter tapping out a beat with a pair of drumsticks on whatever was in front of him – his plate, glass, the countertop, the vinyl seat cushion next to him. His head was bobbing w/ the beat. He looked around and grinned and people started joining him. People sitting in booths eating their lunches started using their hands and their silverware and pretty soon almost everyone in the place had joined the jam in some way or other. One man got up to leave and started tapping on the window with some one inch diameter rods. A middle aged black woman wasn’t tapping, but she was dancing a swaying, almost hula-like dance to the rhythm. The waitresses and cooks were tapping and smiling, too. I wondered if this was a regular event because everyone seemed so comfortable with it and pretty able to stay with the beat. I thought if it isn’t it should be.
I noticed Scott Kelly and his daughter wearing Union High School letter jackets. I walked through the crowd and passed Jeff Bigger walking toward me, also in his Union letter jacket.
No comments:
Post a Comment