Why dreamz?

I've been recording as much as I can remember of my dreams for the past few years and it occurred to me that no one is ever likely to read through the whole batch at once, but some might find them interesting, or bizarre enough to read one or a few at a time. So, here they are.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A cliff, a bus ride and a bearded lady

I was hiking in the mountains with a few other people.  We came to the edge of a gorge with a 1000 foot drop straight down off the edge.  One guy with me walked over to it like he was going to just step down a stairway.  I warned him to be careful.  He took a look with his foot right on the edge and quickly backed away like it had surprised him.

I sat down on what looked like the rim of a hollow 10 foot diameter tree stump, only it was made of rock.  It was a curved, narrow rock ledge just high and wide enough to straddle so I could hang one leg over the side and look down where the cliff face fell away and have my other leg firmly holding me in place.  The other cliff face on the opposite side of the gorge was only about 50 yards away and there were a few people over on it looking over at us.

I saw the other people, but wasn’t really paying attention to them when I realized that someone on the other side had shot an arrow at me.  I was far enough away that I saw it coming and realized it would have lost much of its energy, so I put my hand out to stop it.  I didn’t realize that it was a hunting arrow with a razor point.  It made a hole in my hand, but didn’t have enough energy left to go through.  This made me angry and I yelled at the shooters, “Are you crazy?  That had a sharp point on it.  You’ve cut me.” 

This didn’t deter them at all.  They continued to shoot.  But, like I said, I could see the arrows coming and could tell which ones were going to miss, which I just ignored, and the ones that were going to hit I caught, so they never managed to do me any harm again.  They eventually ran out of arrows and left.

Later, I went to a bus stop in Indianapolis to take a bus trip, possibly to Florida.  I was the last person to get on the bus and the only seat available was in the front row on the right side aisle seat.  As I sat down I realized the right side of the aisle had three seats across and the poor guy next to me was going to have to sit in the middle between two bigger guys.  He noticed I was wearing a bright red Ohio State shirt and he said that he’d gone to Ohio State and assumed I had to.  I said that I just had a shirt, no real connection.

The bus had stopped at the dead end of a narrow street to pick us up so I assumed it would have to back up to the major street to head out, but the driver looked over the row of hedges in front of us, which were windshield high, and pushed right through them, over the curb and out onto the street beyond.

After we’d traveled a while the bus stopped and we all got out for a break.  It was a beautiful sunny day and we were at an outdoor shopping mall.  I went up a little hill across a paved plaza to find a bathroom.  I saw a sign for a women’s room and figured there must be a men’s room close by but I had to walk through an open air dress shop to get there.  I noticed a sales lady who had a dark, unfortunately obvious mustache.  I thought that she probably ought to think about some form of hair removal.  When I got closer I realized that she was dealing w/ more than a mustache.  She had a neatly trimmed goatee and long sideburns that came to a point like mutton chops.  The hair was way too thin to be a good man beard, but was very obvious.  She had decided to make the best of what she had rather than trying to hide it or remove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment