Why dreamz?

I've been recording as much as I can remember of my dreams for the past few years and it occurred to me that no one is ever likely to read through the whole batch at once, but some might find them interesting, or bizarre enough to read one or a few at a time. So, here they are.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Uphill

I was walking up a street on a long hillside in India or Bangladesh in the pouring rain w/ a young local boy who was my guide.  The water was rushing down in torrents with the ditches full to overflowing and some places the road itself was flooded a foot or two deep.  At first it was extremely dirty w/ all the trash and filth of the crowded city washing out, but as water kept falling it began to clean up a little.  The street continued uphill, not steeply, but unbroken for at least a mile.  Lots of people were out slogging their way along, completely soaked as we were.  Occasionally a car came past and I wondered how they managed to not drown out when the water was surging up over the hood and roof.

As I got further up the hill it got steeper and now I was in my old 1980 Ford driving up a gravel road in 2nd gear with my parents in the back seat.  The hill was really steep and I was impressed that the car kept going without slipping on the gravel, and I was glad it had enough power in 2nd because I was worried about getting it into 1st without stopping and I definitely didn’t want to stop.  The road was barely wider than the car and both sides were heavily wooded.

I got out and walked along a trail that hugged the edge of a mountain as I headed for the house that was at the top.  At one spot the trail was missing for a short ways but I could see that it continued ahead about 20 feet and about 5 feet below, so I sort of ran on the hillside and slid down and came to the other side just fine.

I walked along a little ways further and the trail widened out into a road again, but it was blocked partway by a large trailer that had some kind of metal frames on it that hung over the sides and took up all the space between the trees.  I thought I could get around by going through the cab of the semi, so I hopped in the driver’s side door.  The driver gave me a funny look as I climbed over him, but he didn’t say anything.  There was a hole in the dashboard on the passenger side and I noticed there was a nest of brown rats in the hole.  They seemed to be hibernating because they didn’t move, even when I grabbed them.  It didn’t seem right that there would be a nest of rats in the cab of a truck that was being used, so I started picking them up one at a time and throwing them out the window.  There were probably a dozen including some nearly the size of a small cat down to a couple little mouse sized ones.

1 comment: